123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Teachable Moments

I know, I know. I've been gone awhile. Let's see, where to start?

I have simultaneously developed a sweet tooth and dropped 10 pounds.

Oh, and this weekend, I'm taking a knitting class right before I'm having dinner with a bunch of nuns. I'm also eagerly awaiting a sprout from some avocado seeds in punch cups, but I still haven't gotten a new camera, so you'll have to settle for a crappy cell-phone picture.

Grow on with your bad selves.

Yeah, it's wild in Ohio.

There's a wonderful little coffee shop a few blocks over from the house. Among other fine offerings, including an invitation to "bring your own wine," it has a coconut tea called Coconut Breeze, which I always saw on the chalkboard menu and thought, "Oh, God. That sounds just awful. Barf."

But, I got some by accident the other day and it seems that Coconut Breeze is really quite magnificent.

I ordered a medium English breakfast and somehow ended up with Coconut Breeze at the pick-up counter. Unawares of the mix up, I added my Splenda and cream as per usual, and found a pleasant surprise.

As with all "accidents," it wasn't really an accident. I credit Coconut Breeze with opening up a whole bunch of new horizons for me.

See, I figured if my perceptions were wrong about something as a benign and inconsequential as tea, what else have I been wrong about?

Turns out: quite a lot. A whole big crap load of things. Some of them big, some of them little.

For instance, I am a good dancer (not the awkward, drunken flailing kind but, like, actual dancing.) And, I've realized a microwave is not a necessity. I really don't find cockiness and condensation to be attractive qualities. And also, I don't have all of the answers.

And that's been kind of freeing, you know? To have my entire world turned upside down by a cup of tea.

But, there's at least one thing about which I've been proven correct time and time again: All dogs like their butts scratched.

I wonder why that is.

In the Comments section, tell me about your favorite hot beverage and/or if you know a dog who might prove me wrong.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 8:42 AM , Blogger EsLocura said...

    uno, dos, tres, besos I have missed you. I don't have a dog but my cat likes his but scratched. I'm into coffee but when sick tea works for me, like vanilla ice cream not chocolate, but love chocolate bars, am a Capricorn, like peanut butter but not peanut butter flavored things, hmmm did I get you mixed up with online dating? yeah I've missed you

     
  • At 9:37 AM , Blogger WendyB said...

    Welcome back! My dogs are okay with having their butts scratched but they're not fetishistic about it. They seem to prefer having their chins scratched.

     
  • At 8:46 PM , Blogger Spellbound said...

    Having reared children I became immediately nostalgic when I saw the toothpicks in the avocado seeds. My child is grown up and served us baked avacado stuffed with cilantro and scallops for dinner. Having grown jaded about such things she threw the seeds away.

    I think dogs have a hard time reaching that spot on their butts where you scratch them. It's what drew them into our campfires at the dawn of time.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home