123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

La Papa

aHave you had that moment yet where you realize your parents realize that you're an adult?

It only took me 28 years.

My Dad and I were talking about the current economic hullabaloo. I was sorta trotting along with his reasoning, lulling somewhere between concession and resignation, when suddenly I countered one of my Dad's arguments with some economic data and the kind of logic that only a super-adult person might possess -- it doesn't matter what it was; it's boring.

But, yeah, I gave me ol' da the smartypants smackdown, I surely did.

And I saw a light in his eyes (the same greenish-grayish eyes that I have) that seemed to say, "How in the hell did you know that?"

And mine gleamed back, "Because I am adult now who knows these things. Scary, isn't it?"

We both got quiet, freaked out for a second, and then I said something that helped restore a sense of normalcy: "Oooh, I feel like cheese dogs and tater tots for dinner."

Then the moment was over, and we were both glad.

I'm the kid, he's the adult—that's the way it should be, I think. In fact, a lot of days I wish it were still OK to crawl up on his lap, him reading his Stephen King novel and I reading my Amelia Bedelia book, both of us silent in other worlds but still connected.

Now we talk about retirement accounts and plants that will tolerate the shade and how many miles you can go between oil changes. We fill up our time with so much conversation that we never get a chance to connect.

But, I tell you what, there is one great generational leveler: We both ate the shit out of some tater tots.

In the Comments section, tell me what your favorite frozen potato product is.

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 6:47 PM , Blogger paperback reader said...

    Tater tot casserole should come standard with every oven.

     
  • At 7:22 PM , Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

    Are you kidding? Tater Tots of course!!

    I hate hash browns. I love mashed, baked and well just about every kind of potato.

    Not delmonico though.

    and fries....well you know they are very bad for you.

     
  • At 7:51 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Mmmmm... tater tots.

     
  • At 9:47 PM , Blogger Goddess Adrasteia said...

    Mmm, I used to work at Heinz and got access to the company store, where you could get just about anything for about 60 cents. I ate the financial bailout's equivalent of OreIda products that summer. ;9

     
  • At 10:35 PM , Blogger WendyB said...

    No one will ever mistake me for an adult.

     
  • At 12:38 PM , Blogger Spellbound said...

    I never eat potatoes in any form, too high on the glycemic index. If you live long enough you may have the sad task of being the adult to a parent who acts like a petulant teenager, or worse. Goodness, I'm all delightful to be around today. Must be the rain.

     
  • At 10:35 PM , Blogger thom said...

    dude steak fries

     
  • At 6:09 PM , Blogger Effortlessly Average said...

    My favorite potato product? Hmmm... I'd have to say Liam Neeson.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home