123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Pun for the Road

So, my brake lights seem to no longer work. I replaced both bulbs, and nada. Nothing. Zip. Zilch.

I'm taking the underlying symbolism as a good sign: There's no stopping me.

But in the world of Reality, the Department of Transportation frowns heavily on non-functioning brake lights, so I shall remedy this. Fixing things seems to be the reigning theme these days.

It's cool. There's a season for everything. I was just telling Adelka Ann how I feel like I'm in a preparation phase. I have no idea for what I'm preparing but, again, it's cool. The map will unfold sooner or later.

But in the meantime, making an appointment with a mechanic is rarely enjoyable, unless the name of your mechanic's business is The Lusty Wrench. Then you know you're in for a good time.

No, really. I mean, I love a good pun for sure and for certain, but I'm looking forward to meeting these people, largely because of this excerpt from the LW's Web site:

"Since we don't rely on bullshit, we welcome questions."

You gotta love a business person who uses profanity on his Web site. You've got to.

Plus, the mechanics (technicians?) all have their pictures posted and one looks hot. Bonus. I'm drawn toward men who work with their hands; I would gladly date a blue-collar guy given that most of the "intellectuals" I've known over the years have had the emotional IQs of gnats.

That's an unfair stereotype, I know. I apologize to all of you emotionally-solvent smarty pantses* out there. I would be stoked if you could prove me wrong.

Oh, hell. I didn't mean to go down this rail. Let's get back on track here with a totally random recipe for roasted chick peas. The personal trainer (PT) has given my old eating habits the heave-ho, so I've been trying to find healthy snacks to replace the 'tato skins and pork rinds I normally gravitate toward.

So, my dear Al Bal gave me this idea.

Preheat the oven to 450.

Open a can of chick peas (garbanzo beans), drain and spread them on a cookie sheet.

Drizzle with olive oil (about 2 tablespoons), sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. (You can add any spices you like, really. Go crazy.)

Place in oven for approximately 20 minutes, turning the beans once or twice, until they are roasted.

You can make the little buggers as crunchy or as soft as you'd like. I like mine a little crunchy. These will keep for a few days in a covered container (I don't refrigerate because they get soggy).

And there you have a healthy snack.

In the Comments section, tell your ideas for healthy snacks.

*Not saying that blue-collar guys and gals aren't smarty pantses.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:55 PM , Blogger WendyB said...

    Why don't I deal with more punful businesses? That would make life better. The IRS should also have some kind of punny name.

     
  • At 6:05 PM , Blogger M@ said...

    NO Bullshit.

    Wow. I WISH I could write and produce a local television commercial for this business. They could win an international award.

     
  • At 11:20 AM , Blogger P said...

    I don't even know where to start with this post because there is so much goodness in it, but I will applaud you on the awesomeness of your chickpea idea, and then tell you how much I love you for interpreting your brake problems as a cosmic message of unstoppability.

    And thank you so so so much for your kind words and encouragement yesterday. You are good people.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home