123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Let There Be Light

Today is my birthday, marking 29 years on this beautiful planet. Still, birthdays always bring me down a little bit, which my astrologer says is to be expected: “Beware of any day that is celebrated with candles; the candles are used to offset the darkness that most of us feel.”

On the very upside, though, my wonderful step-Mom sent me a new outfit, and it fell right off me. Well, not right off, but I was able to easily take the pants off without unbuttoning them, which could come in handy, I suppose.

Especially if one were to, say, meet a married German guy in a cheesy hotel bar during a business trip and go back to his room and get to know him better, though not totally, but enough to know that, yes, European men have a whole different concept of what constitutes as underwear. *

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

So, to celebrate pulling my pants down and a pretty great set of 29 years, I’m going to keep preparing for another 29 amazing years. A kick-ass workout, a leafy green salad, a run with the Dodger dog, a little songwriting and a hot bath are in the cards tonight.

Total Snoozeville, I admit, but there’s a lot to be said for getting to bed on time so I can get to Saturday’s farmers’ market early and flirt with the homemade salsa guy (both of them so spicy!).

You know, this whole physical transformation for me -- from the hair, to the fitness, to trying to remain more conscious of the “vibe” I’m putting out to people -- was born out of frustration, frustration that people I thought mattered were failing to see my true qualities. (Why, hello, self-absorbed Aries nature! Nice to meet y... wait, let's focus on me some more.)

I started this endeavor thinking that -- right, wrong or indifferent -- being my “best” self in every sense of the word would allow me more options, that I could be the one deciding when someone wasn’t up to my standards, and not the other way around.

I wish I could say that I’ve shaken that external motivation, but the fact is, it’s only been reinforced now that I’m turning heads again and ex-boyfriends are sending “Hey, you look great. We should get together” messages.

I just find it hard to believe that 15 stupid pounds and some hair color can make THAT much difference, so I have to assume that maybe my inner beauty has also improved, too.

Or maybe I just think too highly of people and we are that superficial.

Nah. I have enough awesome people in my life to disprove that theory, the very same people I often forget to tell how much they mean to me. It seems to me the key to having a happy birthday is not to dwell on who’s missing from the “party” but who’s already there.

Welp, I’ve got plenty of birthday love to go around, so let’s all light a candle and make a wish today. Oh, and stop by The Maiden Metallurgist, who is my Birthday Twin, with good tidings!

In the Comments section, tell me what your wish is. I don't believe in superstitions, so I’ll share mine: a true and comfortable love. That shouldn’t be so hard, right?


*Not proud of it, mind you, but I’ve found that at the very least, every bad judgment call makes a pretty good story.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 10:44 AM , Blogger Kay said...

    Happy birthday! :-) May today bring you lots of good energy and wishes that will fill you with joy.

    I share your wish. And I don't think it should be too hard, either ;-)

     
  • At 12:08 PM , Blogger WendyB said...

    I'm blinded by your inner beauty. Happy birthday.

     
  • At 2:05 PM , Blogger Spellbound said...

    I seem to have Karma with Aries having birthed two of them. In fact I'm home today making cakes for my girl and her Aries boyfriend. They are having a joint party for his March 21, her March 31 on Saturday. I am not invited because all the dinner guests have Aries birthdays. Damn, I'm gonna have a Scorpio party. Anyway, hope your day was great and the clothes you got never fit you. I've always thought you were beautiful the way you were/are. Hugs

     
  • At 2:23 PM , Blogger Old Ladies Driving said...

    Happy 29th Birthday!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39A2J-yo2Nc

    Hugs & Giggles,
    The Old Ladies

     
  • At 7:02 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Happy birthday, Val. May your wishes come true.

    I'm not sure what my birthday wish would be. Maybe a new apartment. A little bit of sleep. More time. I always feel like I'm running out of time.

     
  • At 1:34 PM , Blogger WendyB said...

    OT: ValerieBeautiful, if you'd like to do a little interview with me for your blog, I'd be happy to answer all your questions! If you'd like to do an interview with me for, say, Time Magazine, that would be even better. I think only the latter will cover our T&E but the former is much more glamorous, IMHO ;-)

     
  • At 6:42 AM , Blogger Goddess Adrasteia said...

    Happy belated birthday! I swear, without Duclie's announcements (and bagels), I'm hopeless when it comes to celebrating the people I love on the right day. But then again, I celebrate you every day, beautiful (inside and out!) lady!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home