123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Senior Moment

I've been trying to organize my photos lately and I stumbled across some long-forgotten gems. My favorite set has come from my senior pictures, which were taken exactly 10 years ago. Dear Lord.

I had some unique visions for my senior pictures, and I was certain that no professional photographer would let me express my angst-ridden adolescent self as I needed, so I asked one of my sister's cool college friends who fancied herself a photog to help me out.

What I ended up with was a strange, yet endearing collection that wasn't anywhere near professional quality, though I never did regret passing up the chance to stand next to a giant "98" with one leg propped up on a step ladder, fist tucked neatly under my chin.

Behold, the 123Valerie of 1997. Braces a-go-go. (Please forgive my scanning and non-existent editing skillz.)
My Mom actually made this fuzzy dress thing when she was 17, so I thought it would be a nice tribute to her. I still have it actually, as well as delusions dreams of wearing it again.




Okay, this was and will forever be my favorite prom dress. I bought it for $4 and it made me feel like a million bucks. I got to wear this lovely frock to three proms that year. Is it wrong that I kinda hope my socially sad cousin can't find anyone else to go to his prom and he has to ask me? Don't answer that.



If you haven't quite grasped my skewed fashion sense yet, here's one that should drive it home. There was a three-year period where bibbed overalls were the pinnacle of my style expression. I would be lying if I said they still didn't hold a special place in my heart.


I think I misunderstood and heard "safari" pictures, not senior pictures. Raawwwwr!




Oh, hot pink. How I love thee. Look at how small my boobs were! Look how small my everything was!

Okay, that is more than enough sharing for the evening. Now go vote for my friend Scott.


In the comments section, tell me where I can find a link to your senior photo. C'mon, man (or woman) up. Hot cha cha!

Labels:

16 Comments:

  • At 8:56 PM , Blogger EsLocura said...

    uno, dos, tres, what a beauty, I liked the safari picture the best.I'm just not a hot pink kinda girl.

     
  • At 9:10 PM , Blogger CamiKaos said...

    Hot pink IS the new black, it is true.

    I really like the one of you in the prom dress with the tiara!

    I have no senior class photos. I tested out of school early and photos were one of the things I skipped. I was never very concerned about it but now I feel a little sad. I think I will get my "senior" photos now that I've hit 30. Think it will count?

     
  • At 9:10 PM , Blogger CamiKaos said...

    Hot pink IS the new black, it is true.

    I really like the one of you in the prom dress with the tiara!

    I have no senior class photos. I tested out of school early and photos were one of the things I skipped. I was never very concerned about it but now I feel a little sad. I think I will get my "senior" photos now that I've hit 30. Think it will count?

     
  • At 5:51 AM , Blogger country roads said...

    My mom still has one or two of my senior pics in her living room. It's painful to see. Yours actually look better than the big 98 ones. God, I hated that crap.

     
  • At 8:37 AM , Blogger Effortlessly Average said...

    Hey, I think the bibbed overalls one is really good. A couple are painfully washed out, but I bet a little photoshop biz would make those look a damned sight better than anything I ever took for my sr photos. And wouldn't you know it, the worst - and I do mean worst - picture I've ever taken is the ONE my parents insist on displaying on their wall.

     
  • At 8:37 AM , Blogger Effortlessly Average said...

    Hey, I think the bibbed overalls one is really good. A couple are painfully washed out, but I bet a little photoshop biz would make those look a damned sight better than anything I ever took for my sr photos. And wouldn't you know it, the worst - and I do mean worst - picture I've ever taken is the ONE my parents insist on displaying on their wall.

     
  • At 8:38 AM , Blogger Effortlessly Average said...

    Why is it posting everything twice?

    Why is it posting everything twice?

     
  • At 9:00 AM , Blogger Peter said...

    I voted for dude.

     
  • At 9:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Uh-oh...bib-overalls aren't the hight of fashion still?

    Crap.

    I like the way you've tilted your pretty little head ever so slightly in every photo as if you've heard an interesting sound somewhere off in the distance.

     
  • At 10:11 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

    I voted. I voted! And I've written about it twice. :)

    Definitely great pictures! I've got one of my senior pictures in my office because, well, I just don't know what to do with them.

     
  • At 12:18 PM , Blogger Woodrow said...

    If I had any of my senior pictures, and a scanner, I'd play for sure.

     
  • At 12:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Es L, you're a beauty!

    CamiK, wow, we're dealing with a lovely smarty pants here. I love the idea of you doing senior photos now.

    CRJ, it may be a tad creepier, but a good way to get her to take those down is to go get some news taken at ye olde Wal-Mart.

    EA, how come it was so bad? Were you wearing bibbed overalls, too? EA, how come it was so bad? Were you wearing bibbed overalls, too?

    Thank you, PDW. African babies everywhere are giving you high-fives.

    I'm sorry, did you say something, Franki? i was listening to a wind song ...

    K, I decopauged some of mine on clear, glass plates.

    Woodrow, the sentiment is appreciated. Why do I get the feeling that you'd have some with overalls, too?

     
  • At 1:37 PM , Blogger Lorelai236 said...

    Lovely pictures, lovely lady :)

     
  • At 8:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    aww loved the pics val :) that first one is so soft and pretty of you.

    i had the worst senior pictures ever. i had a short blond mullet and in one picture i was in this navey suit sitting at this little writing table and it's bad, and so not me. i throw them away any time i come across them.

    in another i had a tommy hillfiger jersey on standing by this well looking thing. very weird and strange choice of props and outfits as picked out by me and my mother. ha.

    also loved that photo of you and your sisters in the previous post. a beautiful trio :)

    glad to have you posting with avengence again. missed reading you daily or every other daily.

    did you hear anything from the airlines yet?

     
  • At 6:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Arent you just adorable!!! I have no photos from High School. I have a friend who has a couple of me from back then. I wish my mom had taught me about waxing or tweezing my eyebrows back then.

     
  • At 9:27 AM , Blogger Akelamalu said...

    Loved your senior photos, my blog is scattered with mine!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home