123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Weight

Because I am a white person, I have the luxury of complaining when someone prejudges me, rather than the daily confrontation and societal disappointment that my loved ones of color must endure.

I am keenly aware of the ignorance this world harbors, and it saddens me. Therefore, I'd like to pre-empt this post with a message that I was raised correctly in a family—and with peers—that celebrated differences. We were taught to understand and embrace, rather than exclude or persecute. We also ran around naked a lot and worshipped Goddesses. Whatever.

So, because it doesn't even occur to me, I find it extremely unnerving when people judge me based on my skin color. I wish I were alone in this, my pretties, and I am sorry if this experience pales in comparison to a real episode of intolerance that you may have experienced, but, well, this blog is about the events in my life, so bear with me.

At a store this morning, there was a long line. A woman, who happened to be African American (no, really. Nigerian, I think, based on the accent), politely asked the lone Indian (Bangalore) cashier if she could call for help because the line was building. An appreciated request on behalf of all.

So, the help (Guatamalan--she wore a national flag pinned to her smock) came up front, saw me standing second in line, swiftly grabbed the three items out of my hands before walking to her cash register then ordered me to, "Come over."

I don't know why—maybe my ultra-red hair or my complacent nature stood out to her. I simply said, "Uh, okay," and waddled over to her register.

As I swung around, the African American woman who requested the help and had since moved over said, "Where the hell did this white bitch come from? Trying to get to the front of the line? I'm not surprised."

I was mortified, my pretties. I'm not that person; you must know that. But, I am also not someone who tolerates untruths, so I said, "I'm sorry. She told me to come over."

"Whatever you say, white bitch."

Now, I can overlook ONE irrational comment—we're only human, kids. But, twice? Well, it just offends my sense of truth. Had she said:

"Whatever you say, white drunk ass."

Or

"Whatever you say, white girl who should do more crunches."

Or

"Whatever you say, white girl who needs to get laid," I would have probably given her a High Five. But, kids, I'm not a bitch. Never have been. That hurt my feelings. So, you know what I did to get back at her? I helped a young black gentleman carry his bags to the car.

I would've done it anyway, watching him struggle the way he did, but it felt damn good to see her mouth gape in surprise as I offered to help with some of his burden.

In the Comments section, tell me about someone ignorant or, preferably, benevolent you've come across lately. I'll help the winner carry bags to their car.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 9:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's messed up, V. You know I struggle with some of this, too. I have been called both "cracker" and the "stupid white teacher" a couple times this year by my students. Today one of my girls was cursing up a storm in 1st period. Nature vs. nurture? Not sure why this is happening. There are lots of theories and ideas, I am sure. But regardless, I agree, why can't we all just love each other? It frustrates the shit outta me.

     
  • At 11:24 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Can't we all just get along?! I get all kinds of comments at the grocery and the Laundromat where I swear I'm the only white girl some of these people have seen up close.

    "My daddy don't like white people," a young girl told me while leaning on my table and watching me fold.

    Another woman told me, "I have a white aunt" to which I responded "I used to have a black uncle."

    He's been replaced by a Norweigan named Bjorn.

     
  • At 12:27 PM , Blogger mist1 said...

    The day that someone talks about how I could stand to do some crunches is the day that I get all homicidal.

     
  • At 2:11 PM , Blogger M@ said...

    I still think you should have slapped her. Your games getting tired, girl.

     
  • At 3:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Meggies, I know you've got it tough, lady, that's why I feel like such a twag even mentioning it. The Door exchange helped immensely, though.

    Man, K, all of the good black people in my life are being replaced by Norweigans named Bjorn. What the hell?

    There's no running from the truth, Mist. No running period, but a lot of time on the eliptical machine.

    Matty, always the voice of unreason. My games are getting tired? or were you speaking to the woman? I'm confused. Scrabble and Scattergories are the extent of my games, sir.

    Thanks, Gramps. I'll take that sound advice to heart.

     
  • At 3:59 PM , Blogger M@ said...

    Valerie,

    I was simply giving you some jaw. Man, that white skin of yours needs to thicken a bit. :)

    I mean, now that you went ahead and did the "reasonable" and certainly classy thing, that woman is gonna go out now and do something half-assed for some poor, mystified white person somewhere.

    "Gimme them groceries!"

    There will be a Part II scene which you will never see.

    (But yes, James Burnette--the voice of reason--will be quite proud of you for acting in a sane and compassionate manner.)

     
  • At 4:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    acting in a sane and compassionate manner is the only way to make this world work. cheers val.

     
  • At 5:02 PM , Blogger 123Valerie said...

    Matty, you get the Obvious Award for the day, kid. ;) I dedicated an entire post to some misguided stranger calling me a bitch. I cry when people yell at me. I am sensitive and slightly irrational about things directed at me, but I seem to remain calm when I project responses. I don't like confrontation.

    I agree she'll probably continue to stomp around the rest of her days pitching hissy fits, but all I can do is make sure I don't follow suit.

    Thanks, Al Bal. It's the crystals keeping me calm.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home