123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Pippi Procrastinator

I have known that Halloween comes on October 31 since I was about seven years old.

I have also known that Halloween parties also come close to October 31 since I was about 17 years old.

Why the flip do I find myself every flipping year flipping out at the 11th hour because I don't have my flipping costume done?

I've know since at least March that I wanted to go as Pippi Longstocking. That's a couple of months to get my ass in gear, find some stripy socks, sew a be-patched jumper and create a sufficiently comfortable wire headband to make my braids stand out.

So, today, after I finished working at 4, I decided now would finally be an excellent time to start on the costume for a party this evening. You'd be surprised the sad stripy sock collection this consumerist nation of ours has to offer.

I settled for a pair of red tights, as well as a pair of black argyle tights which if you ever see me wearing whilst NOT in this costume, you have permission to kick me, 'cause I'm tempted. They are cute! If you are 11 years old. Maybe not even then.

So, alright. I can live with no stripy socks because I will two different stockinged legs. But, there was also no time to get fabric for the be-patched jumper, so I used a pair of old curtains. Curtains, kids! They're blue.

What you say? 123Valerie is domestically inclined? She can sew? Damn right. To further wig some of you out, I'm working on a quilt for my sister's Christmas gift. It's a Sunbonnet Sue pattern because her name is Susie. To quiet some of your fears, I usually drink beer while I'm quilting, so it's a little more badass.

Anyhoo, I've gotten everything done, but not without a few major, "Aw, fuck it. I'm not going. I'll stay home and watch PBS" freak outs.

But I pulled through. I even managed to mangle a coat hanger for my braids. This is the only time in my life that my hairstyle is going to look better the more drunk and disheveled I get. You bet your bippy I'm gonna enjoy it.

I'm also enjoying JennyJenny8675309's decision to purchase a child-size spandex Spiderman outfit to wear. Granted, she can totally pull off spandex, but she's been hopping around here like a 5-year-old because she's so excited. "I got matching slippers! They have Spider Heads!" she told me.

The house has a festive air about it, now that the crunch for Pippi-Palooza '06 has passed. On to the debauchery!

In the Comments section, tell me what you're doing tonight and/or can you pull of spandex? The winner of the coolest evening, or anyone who actually CAN pull off spandex gets a hand-made quilt from me.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:55 AM , Blogger brinki dink said...

    picture please!

     
  • At 5:36 PM , Blogger nolongermrsborell said...

    I too would like to see a pic!!! We wnet as the Charlie's ANgel's(me,Bonz,and Marie and Ashley) ASh was Bosley. We spent almost 3 hours getting ready mostly due fact that we all hated our outfits and changed and pouted a lot. But i the end we looked great and had fun

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home