123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Crushed

Last evening's festivities went swimmingly well. We missed some of the usual suspects, but overall the mix of new and unexpected faces lent itself to good times.

Despite the social success, I'm feeling void of my usual drive to wittily recap the night's events, which should not be mistaken for a lack of enjoyment or indifference. On the contrary, actually.

But, last night I said goodbye to a lot of possibilities without feeling the promise of new ones. I suppose I'm speaking strictly of romantic opportunities: Vermont Chris is a darling boy, but I didn't feel an immediate connection—so sorry #1Laura. Maybe it will come. The door also closed for 567Devin, and I finally convinced myself that an affair with a 48-year-old married man isn't in anyone's best interest.

So, while I made a host of new friends and grew to appreciate the ones I had even more, it stinks to not have an object of affection, or what the kids might call a "crush."

A crush offers distraction and fantasy. It's not nearly as much fun to focus on reality. My current reality is that I have a long list of important people in my life that are suffering the effects of one of my frequent periods of hibernation. I tend to just go away from the world for a while and not answer phone calls, e-mails or letters. The new Mrs. Norton, my folks, my sisters, my D.C. ladies, Kirstin—ya'll I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you.

You're in my thoughts right now, along with a million other ideas, worries, hopes, dreams, plans and a random recipe for frog legs.

Because I tend to be over-dramatic and poetically cliché, I told JennyJenny8675309 that I felt a wind of change was blowing in. I really said that. "JennyJenny, I feel a wind of change is blowing in."

She looked at me with confusion and probably a little disdain, as I'm still wearing yesterday's clothes and have spent most of the day on the couch eating Megan Jane's leftover chili. The only change I've executed today was to flip from VH1 to the Food Network.

Can't explain it, kids. There's a lot of planetary activity this week, much of which urges us to re-examine our lives and plans (hello Mercury Retrograde on Friday. More on that to come). So, if you're feeling restless, hopeful and disappointed all at once, you are completely in tune with the heavens and are also in very good company with the likes of me.

Speaking of good company, it was nice to see so many wonderful faces last night, and trust me when I say to all of you who weren't able to make it that you were missed and missed out.

JennyJenny8675309 made cookies that looked so much like bloody witch's fingers, I gagged every time I looked at them. Kewl.



In the Comments section, tell me how you're generally feeling right now. I'll give you some of JennyJenny8675309's finger cookies.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:18 PM , Blogger nolongermrsborell said...

    Oh my dear sweet Val! I am hugging you right now!!! I was going to suprise you and drive over for your party but i opted to work instead so I might be able to pay the rent by the first!!!lol I completely understand how you feel. I got my papers in the mail Saturday morning...divorce papers for sweetest day ...how romantic! No crush does suck!! But i love you, I know its not the same, but i do!!

     
  • At 7:29 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Tired. Very, very tired. But I'm glad I got to spend a little of the evening with you and yours. A crush will come soon enough. I'm sure of it. I'd shake the Magic 8 to confirm, but it's at work, on my desk as it belongs. I'll do it Monday. :)

     
  • At 8:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am feeling the winds of change is what I am feeling. Great post, 123. I feel ready for the wind now. Thanks. Have good days. ~ Glynnis

     
  • At 10:29 PM , Blogger brinki dink said...

    restless, hopeful and disappointed just about sums it all up Ms. Val. The winds of change are blowing sweetheart, before you know it a new crush will warm his way into your heart and a new crush will ensue. And, aren't new crushes the best anyway? Much love to you sister friend.

     
  • At 3:11 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Oh, and I asked the Magic 8 Ball "Will Val crush soon?" 8 Ball replied "Without a doubt."

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home