123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

All the Sweetest Winds, They Blow Across the South

I love me some North Carolina. It's the perfect mix of empathetic, concerned folks who are crazy--very much like your 123V, here.

Spending time there always makes me re-prioritize the important things in my life, which usually end up being: tanning, frozen yogurt and videos, because that's all the side stores in NC offer.

I could bore you with tales of my darling nephews and their antics on bumper cars, or my sweet niece who eats broccoli like it's going out of style, but I won't because they're all going to take over the world one day, and you'll get to know them through their Nobel prize acceptance speeches.

But, let's see, what's the haps, otherwise?

No meetings with the crazy ex-girlfriend; exactly one PG-rated meeting with the high school ex-boyfriend that left me wanting to slow dance to some Cyndi Lauper; and, dude, one awesome meeting with J from Drunk on the Porch.

There was good ink (high-five, J), great conversation and beer. Oh, and there was phenomenal pizza. I'm already looking ahead to the next meet-up where J and I can compare more small-town nuttiness.

Until then, I'm only left regretting the poor Catawba County Shriners. Oh, the Shriners--they had them a tough year.

My folks and I went to the town's "holiday parade" this weekend. Beyond the Shriners, it was pretty much just the town's police and fire squad, so we prayed to Heyzus that no one had an emergency while the cops were throwing out some Brach's hard candies to the kidders.

While my folks and I had a great time, the Shriners were having a rough go. The Go-Kart AAA had to come out several times to help the guys driving little cars, as chains were a-breaking and tires were a-blowing and little Go-Karts were a-stalling all over God's concrete.

Whoops!


Yep, just a good, ole time in Carolina, complete with big men driving tiny semi-trucks.



Even the dawgs was excited, bless they hearts.

Millie is our little "root beer barrel." She's always been kind of crotchety and mean, but those ears and stubby legs save us from getting upset with her every time.



Sadie Byrd: She has a tiny head and a tiny, tiny brain.


Yes, Mills, it IS time for goodnight. (She did this herself, I swear to Pete. She's not a terribly sociable soul.)

In the Comments section, tell me why you love your family and/or your home town.

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • At 12:50 AM , Blogger Nina said...

    I love - and I do mean love - North Carolina. South Carolina too. They are home away from home and I'd love to move back there someday and eat popcorn and frozen yogurt at dollar movies... mmm. Also, I have a soft spot for Dallas, Texas, but I think that's only because the humidity was low and terrain was flat. I ran a lot, and hard, when I lived there. I was also in love. Which might explain all the running. *Sigh * you make you miss the South.

     
  • At 12:50 AM , Blogger CamiKaos said...

    I love my home town because... well I consider Portland my home town even though I never lived here until I was 17. We moved so much as a kid that I don't think I was every really settled, so even though I speak like a Californian with a southern lilt, I'm an Oregonian because it's the first place I chose to be. What is that saying, Home is where you hang your hat? To me home is where I keep my boots.

     
  • At 4:45 AM , Blogger Gunfighter said...

    As crazy as it may seem to some, I love living in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC. While I don't love the trffic, I love the fact that we have put down deep roots, and are a real part of this community.

     
  • At 7:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love my family because they are on the other coast. They're fabulous!

     
  • At 8:22 AM , Blogger Lorelai236 said...

    Yay!! We missed you!!

    Your pictures are hilarious :)

     
  • At 11:46 AM , Blogger paperback reader said...

    Family: unspoken moral obligation.

    Hometowns: Your hometown is to future hometowns what your folks' marriage is to your future relationships. It gets in there when you're too young to know any better and sets up a framework you don't ever really notice. I feel lucky to have had several, and I hope to have several more, and not just to keep ahead of the collection agencies hired by the Columbia record and tape club.

     
  • At 12:15 PM , Blogger country roads said...

    the tiny tow truck is too funny.

    My hometown is perfectly imperfect, but I'll never forget it nor will it ever leave me because that's where I grew so much.

    come on down anytime!

     
  • At 5:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Valerie,

    Is mills a guard dog?

    So you were near Hickory, I pretty much stay in the triangle when I'm working in NC.

    Glad you had a good Thankgiving.

    Those little trucks are cool. I have a dune buggy and a very sore butt.

     
  • At 1:15 PM , Blogger WendyB said...

    LOL! Cute dawgs.

     
  • At 5:44 PM , Blogger 123Valerie said...

    Nina, NC loves you, too, my dear.

    CamiK, I like the word "Oregonian" but I'm a big fan of Portland, Maine, way on the other side. Maybe one day, we could be sister-Portlanders and send each other souveniers from our respective Portlands?

    Gunfighter, I have tried, my dear. Lord knows that I have tried, but this place just ain't home for me. Yet and still, I love the natives.

    Franki, why did I not know that? That makes me sad I didn't know that. I'll be your local family, if you ever need.

    Lorelai, I missed you too, mon cherie! NC is full of character(s).

    PAD, I'm in a mad dash from BMG myself, dawg. I got your back.

    CRJ, tiny anything is funny to me, especially Sadie Byrd's little, tiny head.

    Krok, she is not--she's got bad knees and a cantankerous spirit, but she's a whore for liver treats. I was near Hickory, but don't think for a minute I wouldn't have ventured to R-town for a meet up. Next time, fo sho.

    WendyB, they really, really are and their feet smell like Fritos.

     
  • At 6:01 PM , Blogger CamiKaos said...

    Oh the sister Portlanders. Lovely idea.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home