123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I Need MySpace

So for reasons totally within my control, I had to finally create a MySpace page. I am somewhat at odds with this development.

Before ya'll go hating on me, let me say that it is largely for my own good that I have resisted—not (much) out of judgment. I basically worried I would turn into an obsessed freak about the whole ordeal.

Currently, we're at about a Level 3 Freak Out, but the gauge is slowly rising. I am at grips with the fact that for someone who's only been registered for 24 hours, having 20 friends is pretty good. Right? Isn't it? Right, guys? That's pretty good, huh?

Okay, deep breath.

But, my pretties, what if in 2009 I still only have 20 friends? (Not that I don't lurve the 20 of you very, very much because I do. Please don't leave my MySpace page naked, please! Think of the children!)

See, on here, I'm fairly anonymous, so if you don't know me in the blog world, that's okay with me. I like who I like, and I presume you like me or you wouldn't be here right now.

But in Deep MySpace 9, it's a whole other dog-eat-dog universe, where there are, like, actual figures and stats of how many people love you and how much. Plus, you know, people could probably find a lot more pictures of my boobs by trolling around MySpace.

(Not really, Dad. Heh, it's a little joke I have with them. Don't worry. I'm pretty sure there aren't any sex tapes floating around out there, unlike others who will not be mentioned.)

However, I am in a strange creative flux where I've got some music stuff that people seem to like but I still only get up the courage to do open mike nights or bust out the geetar in front of real, live human beans about once a milliennia, usually thanks to the sacrifice of a bottle or so of Beam. I don't want anymore innocent whiskey to suffer for my art.

I put together a "real" Web site a few months, but it's a bit more static than it should be and everyone always said, "Why didn't you just use MySpace?"

So in this in-between time while I'm not quite locked behind closet doors but not quite ready for the stage, MySpace is my venue.

The interesting and inevitable outcome has been "running" into folks I haven't seen in years on the old MySpace highway. Like the kid whose shin broke my toe.

And a kid I sat next to in Algebra class in ninth grade who heard me sing "I wish I was an Oscar Meyer wiener, that is what I truly want to be…" in front of the class after Coach Something-or-Other/Algebra teacher devised that particular punishment for my tardiness. You remember that, T?

Side story: Years later, when I was a bridesmaid in my lovely Kirstin's wedding, Coach Something-or-Other and his wife were the photographers. Coach left that high school shortly after I moved away. He did, in fact, remember making me sing that song, and was not the least bit sorry.

I made the mistake of giving him my contact info at the reception (white wine, you devil, you) and he spent six weeks trying to sign me up for some pyramid scheme.

Anyhoo, just goes to show that you never know WHO you're going to run into, and now with this MySpace dealy, I am more poised for the nutjobs than ever. None so far, though.

Wait. What if I'm the nutjob? Oh God. I'm that creepy MySpace girl who no one wants to "friend." I think we've hit Level 4 Freak Out. Someone get me a paper bag. With a 40 in it.

In the Comments section, in the Halloween spirit, tell me about something scary you've done lately.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

  • At 10:41 PM , Blogger CamiKaos said...

    I would totally be your myspace friend... except that you didn't leave a link to your myspace...

    oh, and you should know that facebook is way super cool.

     
  • At 10:47 PM , Blogger 123Valerie said...

    I didn't include it on purpose--do you think I should? Is that too desperate?

    Facebook does seem to be where a lot of cool kids hang out, so I'll be ready to make my way there sometime about 2024.

     
  • At 10:54 PM , Blogger CamiKaos said...

    well if we can't find you we can't add you... but you can find me and add me if you want. If you search Cami Kaos I am the only one who comes up...

    and no, you aren't desperate... 20 so soon that's really good ;)

     
  • At 2:14 AM , Blogger Nosjunkie said...

    I whent shopping with Will Is that not enough I ask you.
    I dont have My Space but I do have facebook thats more than adequite.
    Blogger is and will always be my fav intenet application

     
  • At 4:14 AM , Blogger EsLocura said...

    I am not a my space or facebook girl but I'm still your friend, I swear, I am , amigas, si, siempre. as for the scary thing thing, I said yes, when I should have said no. besos

     
  • At 5:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I signed up for both myspace a while back, and still only have 3 friends. All three are real friends too. And I use facebook to keep in touch with my nephew.

    As for scary? I took the kids out to TP a friends house. hehehehe. It was fun and scary. Any time you have to count on kids, its scary.

     
  • At 6:28 AM , Blogger country roads said...

    myspace scares me. I mean, if you have all those friends, where are all the Christmas presents?

     
  • At 8:05 AM , Blogger Effortlessly Average said...

    Oh, my scary list is long, but distinguished. Just like my... well, let's move on shall we?

    1. Switched to light beer
    2. Added a scoop of regular in with the decaf.
    3. Screamed my own name during sex.
    and so many more.

     
  • At 10:03 AM , Blogger country roads said...

    http://drunkontheporch.blogspot.com/2007/10/tag-im-it.html

    your turn.

     
  • At 11:00 AM , Blogger 123Valerie said...

    Nos, I think you're love of Blogger (vs. other bloggy applications) is scary. I'm just lazy at this point.

    Es L, I never had any doubt of either facts.

    Oh, Pool, kids are terrible accomplices because everyone knows they can't lie worth a crap. I hope ya'll got away with it.

    Nice tractor, CRJ. That is all I have to say.

    EA, light beer? LIGHT BEER? That's not scary; it's just plain wrong, my dear.

     
  • At 12:34 PM , Blogger Effortlessly Average said...

    I know, but what was scary was that I liked it!

     
  • At 7:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm on myspace...email if you want me to be your friend. I want to be your friend, obviously. But if you add me, you've never heard of Flat Coke and Flies before.

     
  • At 5:38 AM , Blogger Jon said...

    I don't really have a MySpace page, but if I did, I'd totally be your friend.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home