123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Fit to Be Tied

Hey my pretties, guess what? The lovely CamiK has got my heart pounding faster.

Yeah, you wish. Okay, maybe I wish.

No, see what had happened was … CamiK shared about her history of heart-related issues and told us all of these scary facts about heart disease and women, and, well, since Tuesday was the two-year anniversary of my Mom's passing and, crap, my sister called last night to tell me my grandma (my Mom's Mom) died yesterday, I guess I'm a little more concerned about death than usual.

The end of January is quickly getting a reputation in my book as the Season of Death, however my Grandma's passing was actually quite a blessing.

She was 90-years-old and lived most of that time very unhappily, except at the end when she was in an Alzheimer's web, which seemed to place her back at about four-years-old. She enjoyed coloring a lot.

So, it's sad, but not entirely, except that we've had too many other untimely deaths in my family as of late -- babies and kids, and I think everyone is weary of coming together for another funeral. Perhaps it's my familial duty to get married, just so's everyone can enjoy a party for once?

Meh. Maybe I'll just have a barbecue.

I was writing the other day that someone's death can make us much more aware of our own quality of life, and then, whoosh, CamiK presents this idea of, "Hey, laydeez, get off the couch and exercise so you don't die."



I have my bouts of being a Workout Winner, but Cami's is a brilliant plan, really: Give fellow bloggers a badge if they promise to exercise three times a week in February.
There's not much I wouldn't do for a badge. In fact, I bet some of those things would qualify as exercise.

In the Comments section, tell me what you should be doing to improve the quality of your life and then, hey, go do it.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

  • At 10:06 AM , Blogger Effortlessly Average said...

    Improve the quality of my life huh?

    Hmmmm...

    Well, I could force the issue of making my wife either decide to work our marriage out for the sake of our family OR that she should leave so I can find happy again. But I'm not sure how to go about that, so I'm not doing anything yet.

    Oh, and I could be working out more. heh.

     
  • At 10:14 AM , Blogger Lorelai236 said...

    My heart goes out to you and your family, Lady.

    I'd be happy to take you up on your fitness challenge--what a great idea! :)

     
  • At 10:19 AM , Blogger country roads said...

    I'm sorry for you and your grandma.

     
  • At 10:58 AM , Blogger paperback reader said...

    Sorry for your Jan-ending sadnesses, miss.

    Here's the thing: exercise really isn't all that important. I mean, I work out 6 times a week, and you've seen me.

    It turns out repeatedly lifting hamburgers and chips to your face isn't good exercise, regardless of how many reps you do.

     
  • At 1:05 PM , Blogger Del-V said...

    I heard a glass of wine is good for your heart. That sounds healthy to me. So I'm going to pour myself a glass right now.

    Cheers

     
  • At 1:15 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    I'm going to work less. Seriously. I mean it this time...

    I'm sorry for your loss, even if it's a blessing. I'm sorry that January's turning it a bad month.

    Here's to February!

     
  • At 2:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I've been on the exercise kick, too. Must stop taking photos of myself, however. Creeping self out.

     
  • At 10:04 PM , Blogger CamiKaos said...

    I'm sorry about your bad Januaries... But I am glad you're joining us...

    and your friends are welcome to come over for some link love and a badge.

     
  • At 12:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a tough month. Sorry Val.

    I NEED to take you up on the fitness challenge. By golly, I think I will do just that. Off to see Camik about this inspiration.

     
  • At 3:46 PM , Blogger Akelamalu said...

    Sorry to hear about your grandma Val and the other losses your family has endured.

    My quality of life would improve if I didn't have to go to work!

     
  • At 7:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I've dedicated myself to attending this crazy, hot-with-a-nutty-teacher-yoga-class once a week. It's all I can manage and I love it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home