123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Friday, January 25, 2008

The Heart Has Its Reasons, But It Don't Mean They're Good

It's not often that things in my professional life intersect with my love life, but there's a lot of planetary influence lately, so things are a bit shaken up.

I used a title for a short piece this morning, The Resistance Roller Coaster, which just fits my heart like a T-shirt right now. I mean, if my heart wore T-shirts, this "resistance roller coaster" idea would be the perfect white, v-neck.

Enough bad analogies: I have a crush that I am struggling to talk myself out of. I am trying diligently (and, thus far, unsuccessfully) to resist.

Edited for clarity: I'm not crushing on anyone AT work--I was just inspired by the title of an article for work. This is probably why I should not write blog posts at 8 a.m.

It's one of those crushes that sort of sneaks up on you. It is equal parts bad idea and intrigue, which is probably why it is such a bad idea—the mystery. Oh, we do like The Drama, don't we?

See, there are miles and mystery and music and mire between us, and while both of us are good people who connect on all of the important levels, I'm wondering how we'd fare if the miles, mystery, music and mire weren't there to protect us.

Guess what I'm saying is, if I had to spend any extended time with this cat, I'd probably wallop him for multiple transgressions. I might be more attracted to "what could be," rather than "what is." I believe they call that "being a woman."

Still, while I'm not sure we'd make it in the real world, the hours he and I spend together in my head are delicious.

Currently, back on planet Earth, we're in the swapping-music-and-daily-antedotes phase. If my calculations are correct, we'll move into the uber-complimentary phase, followed by the hey-what-are-you-doing-this-weekend phase, which should hit about next Friday, I think.

Le sigh.

I could probably overcome this with a little diversionary effort. Anyone else want to throw their T-shirt into the ring to become my new crush? I'm only slightly obsessive, and I make really good lasagna.

In the Comments section, tell me who you're crushing on these days. Bonus points if it's me.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • At 9:21 AM , Blogger WendyB said...

    Long ago I bought a great book called "How to Fall Out of Love." It was very helpful! Now I hate everyone. Kidding! I just fell out of love with an idiot.

     
  • At 10:08 AM , Blogger The Maiden Metallurgist said...

    Oh the office fling! We all know it's a bad idea, and go there anyway.

    Fight the power sister!

     
  • At 10:22 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

    this is kind of how my bf and I started back up...

    Can I have the recipe for lasagna??? :-0

     
  • At 10:44 AM , Blogger Lorelai236 said...

    Umm... I'm praying his name doesn't rhyme with "Showby Fifths"

    Get yo' booty down here! :)

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    I'm in a long-distance thing, I don't have any advice. Actually, I do have advice, just nothing I'd tell the world 'cause I'm still in it.

    Unrelated: If my heart wore a T-shirt, it might be one of my faves, like "Freshly Squeezed" or maybe "Be the Change." They fit my chest and my heart.

     
  • At 2:31 PM , Blogger CamiKaos said...

    try as I might... I can't get over Mr. Kaos... okay, I'm totally not trying.

     
  • At 4:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Valerie,

    All I had to hear was lasagna. I love lasagna. You wouldn't happen to serve homemade coleslaw with it?

    The problem is our children would be so white, we could never vacation at the beach.

     
  • At 4:52 PM , Blogger paperback reader said...

    Long distance things are always the best, because when you're bored, you just hang up the phone and go about your day without all the jibberjabber. Then again, in simpler times, I may have moved thousands of miles for a girl circa date 3. That was dumb.

    Like always, I'm crushin' on me listening to the Fat Boys album Crushin'.

     
  • At 7:45 PM , Blogger Nina said...

    It's you. Please make the lasagna. Thank you.

     
  • At 10:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Life is short...ride him hard!!!

     
  • At 6:22 AM , Blogger Akelamalu said...

    Crushes are exciting but boy can they hurt!

     
  • At 4:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I say go with it. If that doesn't work out, you can crush on me long-distance. I love lasgna - that you'll have to send right away though.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home