123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Reaching for the Stars

I thought I saw Edward Norton, best loved for his poignant and touching performance in Fight Club, at the gym last night.


I immediately went into my “celebrity sighting” mode, which is to say: head down, sweaty palms, clenched jaw and ceasing to breathe.

One of my many irrational fears is meeting celebrities (the list also includes getting eaten by an escalator, looking into dark mirrors, and realizing I’m making out with a half-brother or sister because my Dad had a secret family that he failed to tell us about).

It wasn’t Edward Norton, thank goodness (I asked the guy on the eliptical next to me). I didn’t peg him for a Stair Master kind of guy, anyway. But, this got me thinking about some of my other celebrity encounters.

Jeremy Miller, July 1987: You know him best as “Ben” from Growing Pains. He was one of the guest judges for the All American Soap Box Derby, and some old guy who was trying to woo my mother got us tickets sitting right behind the judges’ table. I stared at the back of his head for the better part of 90 minutes.

G. Love and Special Sauce, October 1997: Ah, yes. G. Love and Special Sauce front man, G. Love, is a handsome fellow with saucy rhymes, a particularly attractive combo to the likes of a 17-year-old 123Valerie. My friend Neil agreed to go to Cleveland (the Odeon for anyone who cares) to see him with me, only on the condition that he could get stoned out of his gourd. Fair enough.

Once there, I found the Odeon was offering a backstage meet-n-greet for only $20. $20! I gladly paid my fee, went back, flashed my metallic smile and gave the man a hug. Then I asked what his dog’s name was. I’m sure it made sense at the time.

Air Supply, August 2004: I’m actually rather proud of this one. Click here to read about another of my romps with Hot Australians.

And that, kids, is the extent of my brush with celebrity. It’s probably just as well because I seem to lack the savior faire to interact with anyone who has even a modicum of fame.

In fact, I’ve been instructed by my lawyers not to talk about what happened when I saw Charlotte’s beloved weather anchor, Larry Sprinkle, at the Harris Teeter.


All I cay say is that the forecast is calling for a 100% chance of a restraining order.

In the Comments section, tell me about your favorite celebrity encounter.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

  • At 10:35 AM , Blogger The Maiden Metallurgist said...

    I could write an epic poem about my love for The Norton.

     
  • At 10:35 AM , Blogger WendyB said...

    I've liked Ed Norton ever since we almost ran him over in a parking lot and he was very gracious about it.

     
  • At 11:31 AM , Blogger CamiKaos said...

    i eat celebrities for breakfast with a little cinnamon and sugar sprinkled over them drenched in vanilla soy milk.

     
  • At 12:41 PM , Blogger Lorelai236 said...

    OMG you are hilarious. Thanks Lady. :)

     
  • At 1:18 PM , Blogger paperback reader said...

    I hang out with Jeremy Miller a lot, and he's always wondered why you didn't say anything to him that day. He's a shell of his former self, so I don't recommend calling him now - talk about damaged goods!

    Still, as long as he picks up the tab we can hang out.

     
  • At 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My sister once saw Sissy Spacek in an airport. She screamed her name at the top of her lungs while running towards her. I do believe Sissy has never been the same.

     
  • At 9:37 AM , Blogger country roads said...

    I watched Rodney Crowell in concert not 2 rows from Sissy Spacek.

    I met the guy that played Eugene in the Grease movie.

    Now I'm singing Air Supply songs. thanks.

     
  • At 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    When I worked for Tower Records, Megadeth cam in to do an in-store (that's cool industry talk for coming into the store to sign autographs). Dave Mustang was the biggest prickola I ever met.

    I burned my extensive collection of Megadeth cds in effigy.

     
  • At 1:42 PM , Blogger Del-V said...

    Ed Norton grew up in my hometown. His grandfather built Columbia back in the 1960’s. It was some sort of hippie commune back then, that’s why my parents moved there. Anyway, Ed and his family would always come into the restaurant I worked at back in the 1990s. He just did “Primal Fear” so every local knew who he was. He was a really nice guy.

    I live about a half-mile from Charles Dutton. I saw him once in the neighborhood Home Depot. I walked by, did a double take and he saw how I was star-struck. He said, “Yes, it’s me.” and I shook his hand. He was a really nice guy.

    I was in a supermarket in Potomac, Maryland with my sister and we saw Linda Carter (Wonder Woman) shopping. She still looked hot. If I wasn’t stalking Kate Amara right now I would totally stalk Linda Carter. My sister wouldn’t let me say anything to her, though. She’s not fun.

    I’ve met so many more famous people, but I don’t have time to write now.

     
  • At 1:44 PM , Blogger Woodrow said...

    I wouldn't know if I did see somebody famous. I never know what the hell's going on.

     
  • At 2:01 PM , Blogger Effortlessly Average said...

    I'm not sure Air Supply reall qualifies as a "celebrity" sighting. More like a brush with death I'd say. heh.

    Fav celebrity encounter? hmmm.... That would have to be when Ed Begley Jr. and I tag-teamed Kathy Bates in the back seat of his Prius. Ah, good times....

     
  • At 2:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Valerie,

    I didn't read your post but I just wanted to be close to your red hair. It excites me, it just does.

     
  • At 3:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    my brush with celebrity is near nonexistant. But I did sit across a broadway theater aisle from John Stamos. He's hotter in real life. And Mario Cantone sat right behind me. He's not better looking in real life.

     
  • At 3:13 PM , Blogger Red Photography said...

    April 1995, Northampton Mass. Tea with 10,000 Maniacs at the Hotel Northampton after charming the socks of the band after scoring backstage passes because my friend Dia flirted with one of the roadies. No alcohol, no funny stuff. Just a bunch of aging rockers sitting around with three college girls regaling us of tales of Natalie Merchant's acid use and what a bitch she was for leaving the band. Not surprisingly, the disbanded soon after.

     
  • At 1:37 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

    I loved Ed in Primal Fear.. so great! I grew up in Malibu so there were celebrities everywhere all the time. Even some of their kids went to school with me. I'd say the most star struck I got was Adam Sandler. He came in to the movie theater I worked at and I just lost my tongue.

     
  • At 3:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    The headlines would read:

    Ed Norton Attacked on Stairmaster

    That's gold, Valerie. Gold!!

     
  • At 1:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Valerie,

    Just checking in because in this cold dry air my hair looks especially good so I imagine your curly red hair looks especially great.

     
  • At 3:06 PM , Blogger Emily Maple said...

    David Byrne. Hands down. He is an amazing artist who has influenced my life in many ways.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home