123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Do the Best You Can

Today, I ate beans out of a can like a hobo.

Further, I forgot to put on deodorant this morning, so I kind of smelled like a hobo, too.

But I bucked the trend a bit because it wasn't pork and beans, rather cannellini beans. Still, I don't think Martha Stewart would give me any points for that, and I can only imagine what my co-workers thought.

(Sidenote: The pun is not lost on me: a can of cannellinis. Man, I love a good pun.)

Generally, I prefer to eat cannellini beans in a salad of spinach, red onion, tuna and a simple vinaigrette of balsamic vinegar, light olive oil, salt and pepper.

I also like cannelinis' shape because it looks like they're smiling and I want to know my food is enjoying itself. But probably more importantly, their creamy texture plays well with the earthiness of fresh spinach and acquiesces to the zingy balsamic vinegar.

But I left all of that fun stuff in my kerchief knapsack when I hopped from the train, so I made do with this.

By the way, has anyone seen my old brown dog anywhere?

In the Comments section, tell me what's your favorite thing to do with cannellini beans or, you know, legumes of any sort. It's pea season, I hear!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • At 9:39 PM , Blogger Woodrow said...

    I love me some ranch style beans. Especially the ones with jalapenos. Give me a can of those and a couple flour tortillas and call me content.

     
  • At 8:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hm. Kind of gross :) I'm pork of a pork and beans guy, though I've been known to eat room temperature beans out of a can too.

     
  • At 10:20 AM , Blogger Del-V said...

    Hummus.

     
  • At 12:35 PM , Blogger paperback reader said...

    Beans are for burritos. And burritos are for me.

     
  • At 2:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ew.

     
  • At 2:08 PM , Blogger Akelamalu said...

    I prefer Heinz baked beans!

     
  • At 5:41 PM , Blogger Nina said...

    Lentils. Curried with cilantro and bay leaves.

     
  • At 7:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ugh, that's kind of gross to eat for lunch! I love black bean soup.

     
  • At 8:12 PM , Blogger Lorelai236 said...

    OMG I love those beans! They're "Italian."

     
  • At 11:02 PM , Blogger The Maiden Metallurgist said...

    I forgot to wear deodorant today too! I hope nobody else noticed.

    Cannelini beans, grilled chicken sausage, fig jam, dijon mustard, arugula on top.

     
  • At 5:16 PM , Blogger soubriquet said...

    Mmmm....
    Such sophisticated tastes your commenters have. Me, I'd heat that can up, chuck out the liquid, add some butter, a sprinkle of coarse-groud black pepper, and I'd be happy.
    Deodorant?
    What's that? What's wrong with soap and water?

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Blogger Le Meems said...

    beans bean the musical fruit-

    wait!?

    I know that mushrooms are considered a fruit, but beans too?

    Man, Team Fruit gets all the good stuff. Team vegetable gets, what? Brussel Sprouts? WTG

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home