123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Making Like a Tree: A Happy, Little Tree

I suspect that several people who know me think I am a walker outer, a quitter of relationships and situations, flaky when it comes people and commitments – that I'm a habitual leaver.

The friend who has shut me out after my (admittedly poor and bumbling) attempt to explain my distance because of the full and messy emotional plate I had at the time.

The friend who probably feels slighted because each attempt of mine to help work through and console a bad decision seemed to lead to another bad decision that needed working through and consolation.

And the boyfriend who fears a change in location means a change of heart.

I have, even very recently, been described by those closest to me as Teflon, someone with a "Fuck 'em and chuck 'em" attitude. I guess looking from the outside in, those brandings might seem pretty accurate.

In my public relations heart of hearts, it is hard to put a spin on some of the people and situations I've walked away from. While I don't feel bad about the relationships I clearly outgrew, I do regret those I never gave a fair chance to fit.

With that in mind, I started tallying up my success rate over the years with regard to lasting relationships and friendships. This, of course, always leads me to Megan Jane. We have been friends for nearly two decades. No small potatoes, kids. Between us, we have managed to maintain a friendship and line of support through nearly 50 moves. That's commitment.

So, while Megan Jane left D.C. this weekend to embark on a new adventure, I'm not worried. I enjoy road trips (thank you, Corn Nuts and NPR) and distance does, in fact, make the heart grow fonder.

I was just telling Lorelai that all friendships have seasons. Some friends are fun for the breezy spring and summer. Some stay with us through the fall and a precious few make it through winter and into next year. It doesn't mean the spring friends were any less important.

Well, muddled metaphors aside, there's a lot going on, kids. I'm expending a lot of my creative energy elsewhere—it's good stuff. Freelance writing and music for Glynnie and Hot Sauce Flo Dad's wedding, not to mention preparing for a Saturday morning gig at Northwest D.C.'s Mount Pleasant Farmer's Market (for you, Spell) starting August 18. It will open the door to a longer-term commitment (there's that word again) if it goes well.

I think blogs have seasons, too, my pretties. It doesn't help much that Blogger has left me unable to leave comments on most of your sites—the "secure items" pop up won't go way. Is this happening for anyone else?

No matter—I think it's the universe's way of confirming my suspicion that it's okay to go away for awhile to focus on other pursuits.

I know that some of you will move on to new blogger friends and some of you will still be here when I come back, and we can enjoy the figurative and literal winter together. Just so happens that A.J. and I will have some mulberry wine ready right about then.

Oh, yeah—he's definitely going to be around this winter. I bought him a toboggan with a pom-pom and everything.

Until we meet again, my pretties, ya'll keep it right out there. If you find yourself missing me, you just put your lips together … and blow.

Wait. That's not right. How about you catch me the 24th of every month over at Burt Reynolds' Mustache or at 123Valerie at gmail dot com?

In the Comments section, tell me what new adventures you're embarking on.

And for my dear Wandering Girl, I hardley seem a good role model for blogging advice, do I? Well, I've never let common sense stop me before:

It’s very simple.When this is passed on to you, copy the whole thing, skim the list and put a * star beside those that you like.(Check out especially the * starred ones.)Add the next number (1. 2. 3. 4. 5., etc.)and write your own blogging tip for other bloggers.

1. Look, read, and learn. ****-http://www.neonscent.com/
2. Be, EXCELLENT to each other. ****-http://www.bushmackel.com/
3. Don’t let money change ya! ****-http://www.therandomforest.info/
4. Always reply to your comments.**-http://chattiekat.com/
5. Develop your own "voice" don't "borrow" someone else's***-Mizmouthy
6. If you don't have something to say, don't worry your loyal readers will wait*-Oldfashionmomma-
7. Be yourself, don't be afraid to share who you really are ***-http://shibari-confessions.blogspot.com
8. Figure out what you stand for, then try to master it.* -http://mornmeet.blogspot.com/
9. Post pictures when you can* -http://akadventuring.blogspot.com
10. Talk about your boobs a lot. http://123Valerie.blogspot.com

(In no particular order):
Hey Pretty
, Lorelai, Matty, FC&F, Spell, Winter, Akelamlu, Reflecting Pool, Stacy, Mama Pookie Pants and Minty--Ya'll just got served.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

  • At 10:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    yeah val's back. are corn nuts like the pieces of corn you find in beer nuts cause i just had those delectable small corn nuggets yesterday....YUMMY i do say

    those and NPR! no wonder you like road trips :)

    val i have spent a glorious winter with you. and am looking forward to many many more :)

    good luck with all that commitment stuff. so frikkin hard :( but sounds worth fighting for fo sure :)

    love ya

     
  • At 10:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I got this from CEO too. I feel so loved!

     
  • At 11:23 AM , Blogger Akelamalu said...

    Nice to know you're still there Val and congrats on your 200th Post!

    Thanks for the tag, it may take a while but I will do it.

    Get you awards up on that sidebar!

     
  • At 9:50 PM , Blogger Spellbound said...

    Okay, tag games tomorrow, but right now damn, double damn!!! I leave for Denver August 13 and will not be back until the 25th. WTF! Is the universe conspiring to keep me from this encounter? Sept 1 would be as soon as I could come see a gig. Will you still be there? If you're having trouble with posting on mine you can email at wordsonwater address, the one I actually check every day. Hugs, enjoy your time off.

     
  • At 11:14 AM , Blogger Red Photography said...

    Lorelia and I are going to Boston this weekend. Beyond that, I'm learning the guitar. Discovering the fact that I may be musically-inclined afterall is an interesting adventure...

     
  • At 2:18 PM , Blogger Lee said...

    My life has taken over blogging duties too. Hope we can still hang and hope you keep inviting me; I'm assuming that my life won't totally suck forever.

    On the secure items thing, you need to delete your cookies. I've been having that problem a lot. I hates it.

     
  • At 7:57 PM , Blogger WanderingGirl said...

    a) Damn, damn and double damn! I am sad to see you reprieve for a while.

    b) If you're there on Sept 1 and Spellbound's coming, I might as well invite myself along!

    c) I'm glad you're still happy. Actually, that should have been A.

     
  • At 12:46 AM , Blogger repsac3 said...

    I confess to being just an occasional reader so personally, I might not've known nothin' if you didn't tell me...

    I'll be back, and so will you, I'm sure...

    And to back up what she said (lee said), I've heard rumors that tossing one's cookies can be good for what ails ya, too... (given with the proviso that advice one finds on the intertubes & innernets is worth every cent you pay for it... ...& sometimes less)

     
  • At 1:38 PM , Blogger Alijah Fitt said...

    Wait Val, we were just getting to know each other! I feel so betrayed- jus kiddin- do what you want, youre busy and we don't want to hold you back. Stay happy ans stay the AJ, and we will be here if you want to holla back later.
    i am planning an Octoberfest getaway in the mountain resort where Dirty Dancin was filmed. Not wild about the music, but the beer, wine , food and mountain lake should be pretty fine.

     
  • At 7:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are so not teflon, Val. So not teflon.

    How did the farmer's market go?

    Girl, I am getting things done for the picture wall. I had to promise to FloDaddy that I would not buy anymore frames. Last night, a friend was over for dinner and I laid out the frames and said, "find yourself." We giggled, then I realized how perfect that sign would be on the picture wall. This is going to be such a spiritual union, Val.

    Girl, I love you. I cannot wait to see you. Never believe you are teflon.

    G-eggplantbaba

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home