123Valerie Strikes Again

Unprecedented Self-Indulgence.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Writing a Post with a Point Is for Nerds

I am boycotting Daylight Savings Time and this country's incessant need to get me to "spring forward": I'm rewinding all the way back to the weekend. It's 2007. Get over it, my pretties.

Cleaning my bathroom for the second time in one week was the first tip off that a big weekend was ahead.

The fact that I had stocked the house with beers and wines and more beers and had resolved NOT to drink them until the company arrived was the other sign. Alcohol doesn't live very long in our house.

JennyJenny8675309 will attest to that--the basement "beer fridge" is chiefly my domain, just as it's understood that the ice cream freezer is hers. It usally takes nothing short of a royal visit or paralysis to keep me from dipping into a stash.

So, why all the fuss, you might ask? Or you might not. You'll get the answer either way: My lovely Adelka Ann and Justin P. were in town for a visit from Connect-i-cut.

Justin P. is a wicked talented sculptor and is having a show at one of our friends' houses, which just happens to be a castle. There's been some debate over at a blog that a friend of mine keeps, but it is, in fact, a castle as determined by the architecture and defensive strategy that went into building it.

Whatever. That's boring.

Suffice to say we had an vunderful time. Adelka Ann's mojitos made me believe that unicorns were real.



So, hey, all of this good news and you may be asking, "Why the slightly manic 'Behind' post the other day, 123Valerie?" Again, even if you're not asking, here it comes: dunno.

Hormones. El Nino. Too much dairy. I'm feeling a schwee bit anxious these days. I've got a birthday coming up (Aries in the da house, biznatches!) which is always good for some serious over analyzing. In true 123Valerie fashion, there are a lot of things I want to do, but I'm not doing any of them. (Some say a fear of success holds me back. Others say I'm lazy. I'm just to0 scared and too comfortable on the couch to look into it.)

I did, however, get off the couch this weekend for a game of Corn Hole with Megan Jane, Har Har Harwell and another friend of ours. If you're not familiar, Corn Hole is essentially a backyard bean bag toss mixed with beer and unhealthy doses of competitiveness.

Megan Jane introduced us to the game, which hails from Cincinnati, Ohio, a town also known for its chili. As per usual, we managed to mangle this innocent backyard sport into something so far outside of its usual scope that our war cry became, "Throw some beans on that bitch," in honor of our new favorite rap game, Rich Boy. Did I mention that we are so, so white?

So, where does all of this leave us? Well, I don't know about you, but I've got to put away some laundry. And write You'd Never Guess a thank you note for sending me an early birthday gift in the form of photos of her body art, which may or may not be slightly naked. Or they may be. Life is good.

I've been so busy yapping about myself, I forgot to ask how you were. In the Comments section, tell me how you're doing.

Labels:

16 Comments:

  • At 2:56 AM , Blogger WanderingGirl said...

    Fan-freakin-tastic. Vegas is paying me. Not much, but it's paying.

     
  • At 6:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am very sick. Like... very. 102 fever last night, 100 when i woke up this morning, and I didn't sleep a wink last night. But I have exactly 2.5 hours of sick leave so I'll go in this morning, lock my door, and feel sorry for myself until the boss lady catches on and sends me home.

    I am the most pathetic patient you'll ever meet.

    =(

     
  • At 8:07 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

    I admire the ability to resist DST. I've been struggling. What if I don't want to save my daylight?

     
  • At 8:17 AM , Blogger M@ said...

    Okay, I get it.

     
  • At 8:47 AM , Blogger Jon said...

    I love Corn Hole. It's kinda like horseshoes, only for whipped guys whose wives won't let them dig up the backyard.

     
  • At 9:17 AM , Blogger mist1 said...

    Unicorns are real.

    I am real too.

     
  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger you'dneverguess said...

    I'm more than happy to send full body shots next time. Or, maybe you should just come to California and we could take body shots off of each other for your birthday. When is your birthday btw?

    I really think you should come and visit me too. I own The Last Unicorn. We could take body shots, drink mojitos and watch The Last Unicorn.

     
  • At 10:19 AM , Blogger you'dneverguess said...

    Oh! Maybe you could also explain how Cornhole is played. I have beanbags and a backyard and drinks. We might want to play this weekend.

     
  • At 10:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, if you saw unicorns from a mojito, I need several of those for when I go into labor.


    Oh, and I'm with you on the daylight savings boycott.

     
  • At 12:28 PM , Blogger Lee said...

    Yeah, Corn Hole sounds way funner than almost dying on Old Rag. I'm ready to play!

     
  • At 2:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Two words, WG: $1.99 buffets.

    Lisa Lisa, I've got a healing crystal in my office with your name on it, thanks to my friend Theresa.

    Kristin, thanks for getting my back. I hear you--I'm frivilous by nature.

    Glad to know, friend.

    Jon, you and your loverly wife and cordially invited to play Corn Hole anytime AND you can dig holes in my back yard.

    Mist, honey, what about leprechauns? Are they real?

    March 27, Guess. Me and Mariah Carey and my friend, Sean P.K. I'm way down with that plan. Who needs a lime when you can suck on a neck?
    In Corn Hole, players simply toss bean bags on an angled board with a hole in it. You get points for landing on the board, getting a bean bag in the hole or knocking off an opponents bean bag. Brilliant!

    Hi Pookie Pants! As a soon-to-be Mom, you can have whatever you want. Mojitos, an extra hour of dark, whatevs.

    Lee Baby, indeed! You TOO are invited to all future Corn Hole games, and there will be no hiking involved!

     
  • At 2:48 PM , Blogger M@ said...

    You stinker.

     
  • At 3:31 PM , Blogger Lee said...

    Yay!

     
  • At 9:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm doing very well, thank you, I'm pleased you asked. Although my head is full of snot and I wish I could suck it out with a hose but that's not possible.

    Keep us posted on chili ice cream beer and tossing objects in the backyard.

     
  • At 9:33 AM , Blogger Red Photography said...

    Thanks to DST, I have been late for work every day this week. On the other hand, DST means buh-bye seasonal affective disorder. Of course, that means needing a new scapegoat for my chronic grumpiness and misanthropia. On the other hand, spring is here and that means lots of tawdry, random hookups. Those are good, right?

     
  • At 3:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    dude...I'm totally sick too. trying to get better.

    blah.

    oh, the Shins were awesome on Monday.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home